What you need to know about engineered timber flooring
Solid timber flooring can give a home a touch of classic elegance, but unfortunately has the price tag that goes along with such luxurious looks! Engineered timber flooring is a fantastic option for those who want to give their home the stunning look of solid timber flooring, without breaking their budget.
So what exactly is timber flooring and how do you know if it is the right choice for you and your home? Read on to find out!
What is engineered timber flooring?
Engineered timber flooring is made from 100% real wood but as the name suggests, is manufactured rather than natural. It consists of three different layers:
- Upper Layer: A protected and sealed layer of hardwood
- Middle Layer: Core layers made made of plywood
- Base Layer: A backing of plywood to add stability and durability
Like solid timber flooring, engineered timber flooring can come in many different styles, depending on what type of wood is chosen for the upper layer.
What are the benefits of engineered timber flooring?
The way that engineered timber is designed with its 3 layers, means that it offers many benefits over solid hardwood.
- Durability: Engineered timber is specifically designed to minimise the effects moisture can have on the wood, meaning engineered hardwood is more stable in high-humidity environments and is applicable to a wider range of uses within the home.
- Sustainable production: Because engineered timber is made primarily from plantation-grown trees, it is a more sustainable option than traditional hard-wood flooring which often is created from slower-growing trees like jarrah and oak.
- Easy to clean: Just like traditional timber flooring, engineered timber flooring is very simple to keep clean! You can follow our guide to cleaning engineered timber flooring here.
- Cost saving: Due to the price-effective materials in the different layers that make up engineered timber flooring, it is often more affordable than solid hardwood.
- Easy to install: While traditional timber flooring often requires experts to install it, Parry’s engineered timber flooring is created to be installed easily with a tongue and groove system, making it a cinch to install yourself.
- Authentic look and feel: One of the best things about engineered timber is that it is often indiscernible from solid hardwood, meaning that you can enjoy the classic look without the price to match!
Disadvantages of engineered timber flooring
While it may be more cost effective than solid timber flooring, it is not the cheapest flooring out there, with options like vinyl and laminate flooring offering timber-look varieties for a lower cost. That being said, if you love the feel of solid timber flooring, then engineered timber flooring is the best equivalent available for those on a budget.
The only other disadvantage of engineered timber flooring would be choosing which kind you want!
Engineered timber flooring options
Parrys engineered timber flooring comes in three stunning options; Blackbutt, Jarrah and Spotted Gum. All species of timber used in Parrys engineered timber flooring are milled in Australia from local sources who follow environmentally-friendly forestry methods.
These stunning timber looks are designed to suit many different interior styles and are sure to look great in your home.
As you can see, engineered timber flooring is a fantastic choice for any home seeking the style and beauty of natural hardwood, for a fraction of the price.
For more information about engineered timber flooring, or to talk to a Parrys flooring expert and your different flooring options, get in touch with us today or visit us in store to view our stunning range.