Parrys guide to choosing the right flooring for your home
The best place to start when choosing the right flooring for your home is to speak with one of the Flooring Solution Specialists at Parrys – this will ensure you get the right information and advice for your home and lifestyle.
Here’s a few little handy tips on how you can combine appearance, durability, and more to find the right flooring option for your home. Learn how to choose your flooring with these easy, step-by-step flooring tips below:
1) Deciding on your flooring early provides a starting point to inspire and develop your design aesthetic and colour palette. The benefits of choosing new flooring include warmth, insulation, softness, durability and fade or stain resistance, but it also forms the foundation of a decorating plan and inspires your other interior choices.
“There’s no hard and fast rule about which floor colours go with which paint schemes – it all comes down to the colours you like and the look you’re trying to achieve. When it comes to building a new home and renovating, it is important to select flooring that strikes a balance between practicality, comfort, style and personal preference”.
2) Consider your lifestyle when selecting the right flooring for your home, consider the space, your lifestyle and the workload the floors will need to endure. The flooring you choose should reflect your personality, add style and comfort, and, if need be, complement existing walls and furnishings.
3) Choosing the right colour flooring for your home can be a challenge, but colour, when done right, will instantly transform a space. Dark timber floors will create a sense of intimacy and have a grounding effect in spacious rooms, whereas pale floors will reflect light and make a small room appear larger.
From comfortable carpets to hybrid and everything in between, remember colour is key when it comes to setting the mood of a room. But before making a final decision, be sure to colour test your flooring sample by day as well as by artificial light at night. It’s an important step in the design process as colours change dramatically when flooded with sunlight or lit by lamps.
If possible, choose your flooring before selecting your paint, wallpaper and furnishings. The colours in your floor can inspire the rest of your colour scheme.
4) Consider the impact of moisture, if your floor will be in a kitchen or bathroom, or if it will be near the well-trafficked entrance to your home, you’ll need to find an option that works well with frequent splashes and moisture. Good choices for this type of floor include hybrid or vinyl.
5) Keep pets and kids in mind, if you have pets or young children, you will want to choose a durable floor that’s resistant to wear and tear, though the extent depends on the type of damage you expect to see. Dogs, for example, can leave scratches on your floors due to their non-retractable claws, so you’ll want to look for some dog-friendly flooring materials. Other kid-and pet-friendly floors can include harder materials like vinyl, hybrid and laminate floors as well as softer options like carpet.
At the end of the day, these flooring tips are simply to help you kick start your thinking about the right flooring options for your home. As you do your research on choosing your flooring, you will get a better idea of the flooring colours and styles that fit your needs.
Need help choosing? Contact our friendly staff and we’ll help you find the right flooring product for your needs – whether it’s a renovation or a new build, we’ve got all your flooring needs in one spot.
Read More Blogs
How to make your house look high-end on a budget
There’s nothing like coming home to a house with a sophisticated design that reflects your...Keep Reading
How to tell the difference between solid timber and laminate flooring.
Is it Solid Timber or laminate? You might be surprised at how hard it can...Keep Reading
The best type of flooring for high traffic areas
New flooring is one of the best ways you can elevate and upgrade the look...Keep Reading